Thursday, January 24, 2013

Split into two

Last night I started a new blog.  I do this now and then.

Some night long ago, 2002 or 03 maybe, my friend Frank, (who also has a blog that you should absolutely read) told me of this new thing called a blog that he was trying.

I'd never heard of such a thing.  He explained it, and I was instantly intrigued, and a little intimidated by the whole idea.  What?  Write stuff that people can read?  Whatever I want?  No form?  No format?

It all seemed so big.

Since then I haven't really stopped blogging.  Oh I've had slow periods.

I've got blogs floating all over the place out in internetland.  I don't even remember where some of them are.  Just...out there.  Going unnoticed.  Floating in digital purgatory, waiting to be noticed...or something.

I've been part of blog groups.

I read probably twice as many as I write.
I voyeur my friends through their written words.  All the time.
I really love how uninhibited we become.  The things we choose to share.
I love getting to know you better.

I've had this habit in the past of starting a new blog, and then forgetting the old one, and then the new one becomes what the old one was.  I actually did that a LOT in the beginning.  I tried.  I explored.  I looked for a voice, then a new one, then a new one.

I think the first blog I really settled into was my Myspace blog.  I would probably still be doing that one, but circumstances beyond my control (Myspace becoming completely irrelevant) made that impossible.  FB, for all it's little apps and games and whatnots, never really did get behind the blog, and that always pissed me off.

So I came back to where I started.  My very first blog ever was on blogger.  This is not that one.  I sometimes go back and look at it though.  Fun times.

This one you're reading now, I am absolutely devoted to.  It is my playground.  It is my joy.  It's my catharsis.  My therapy.  My place where I get to go and have sex with words.

It's not always a great result...but for me, it's always a good time.

So a few days ago, a friend of mine posted on her timeline something about small boobs.  Me...being who I am...saw a post about boobs.  Of course I commented.  It came up in the thread of comments that years ago  had written an ode to small breasts.

I use the word "ode" VERY lightly.  Mostly I had written an appreciation blog, and titled it Ode.
It took me a while to find it.  It was posted on a blog site I hadn't used in years.  I quickly created a new blogger page, and put it there, simply so I could share it with her.

She seemed to like it, and that made me glad.  Even though after having read it again after so long, I saw all the re-writes I wanted to do to make it better.

At first that was the end of it.  I had created a throwaway space, simply to share something with a friend.

Yesterday, in one of my FB groups, the topic of Polyamory came up.  In the comments thread I answered a couple questions...but I always felt limited.  I'm not a fan of creating a wall of text in a comment.  That's what I have this for.

(Light Bulb)

I had just created a new blog, where I had left something for what polite society calls "Mature Audiences"  (I hate that term btw)

Now I had something in the "Mature Audiences" category I wanted to write...and by sheer coincidence... a place to put it.

Things started falling into a weird sort of place.  I often contemplate writing more adult themed pieces, but I never want to leave them here.  Sometimes I will, but I find I have a lot of thoughts, and I don't want this place to get locked into a theme.  I love the openness of what i have here...where it can be anything.  I also don't want people who read this blog, to start thinking of it thematically.  I don't want to become topically predictable here.  I'm sure I have been...or can be...but it's still my desire for the place.

So my friend Frank.  He started me on this whole thing.  He is in fact my longest time blog follower (and I'm very likely one of his), knowing my penchant for starting up new blogs, expressed his concern.  I've done this before.  It is quite valid.  That I may forsake one for the other...or turn one into the other rendering it superfluous.  I will extend every effort to make that not so.  This one is my me.  This is who I am in all my digital naked glory.

The other one I really do want to make topic specific.  Something I've rarely tried, and never with any great success.

Here's the thing though.
Once upon a time...here on this very blog...I wrote one about boobs.  It was done because someone suggested I should...and I did.  According to my blog tracker, that blog, without even the slightest competition, has been viewed in numbers nearly tripling the blog with the next highest number of views.

I posted a blog here last night.  I posted just the second blog ever at the other space last night.  My other blog has more than double the views, even though this one is far more established.

Face it.  People love reading about all things sexual.  It's a simple fact.  I extended no effort to promote the other blog at all.  Since it's a topic I don't necessarily want every person on my friends list to know about, I announced it in a limited friends list.  STILL...it had more than double the hits as this much more established, and followed blog which I announced to my entire group of friends.

I think that says something.
It also encourages me to write for a larger audience.
We'll see what happens.

I know this.  This one...isn't going anywhere, and will always be whatever the fuck I'm thinking or feeling when I sit down to type it all out.

The other one is as much an exercise in topical discipline, as it is something that I think may also turn out to be a little bit of fun.

Also...I may lose interest in that one.
Also...like always...I appreciate feedback, and comments, and well...suggestions on what you would like me to write about...

In the end, I'll always have drasagoblog.

but for now, I also have

For What It Isn't

No comments:

Post a Comment