Friday, July 20, 2012

The Devil Made Me Do It.

Now comes my favorite part.

Hmmm...Perhaps I should back up a bit.

I am of course outraged.  Is that what we're saying?  Outraged?  I'm actually more enraged.  All of my own personal initial responses are internal.  I've spent a majority of my life learning how to control and focus my rage, and don't really let it out much, so I guess I can't say I'm outraged.  I do however, I'm sure, feel quite similar to most people who heard the news today.  So is it too soon to say I have a favorite part?  Probably...but I'm going to say it anyways...and so to re-start...

Now comes my favorite part.

The Blame Games.  The circus of speculation.  I love this.  I really...REALLY do.  I wish I could communicate to you how incredibly entertaining I find this.

Not the tragedy itself of course.  I wish it had never happened.  I wish people who had gone to that film last night were with their friends right now talking about it.  Sharing pictures of their cosplay.  Planning to see it again, or not depending on how they felt about the movie.  I wish that James Eagan Holmes would have dropped dead of an embolism on his way to the theatre...only to be found later, in an alley with guns and tear gas bombs strapped to his body.  Or even better I wish that 24 and a half years ago his mother would have realized what a mistake she had made and reached for the coat hanger.

Unfortunately none of that happened, and so here we are.

Here we are.

Now comes the part that I shouldn't talk about yet.  Because as they say...Too soon man, too soon.  I can't help that it is.  I'm not the one doing it...I'm simply the one taking it in for what it is.  I am just about ready to cook up some popcorn, turn on CNN and FOXnews and laugh my balls purple.

Every political figure from the President down.  Every religious figure.  Pschoanalysts, reporters, entertainers, celebrities, man on the street, woman on the street, and bum on the street gets to chime in now.

How does something like this happen?
How can we prevent it?
Who's to blame?  Who's to blame?  Oh dear god...who's to blame.

Blacks
Muslims
Christians
Atheists
Video games
Violent movies
Violent books
Violent Comics
Batman himself
The homosexuals
The liberal media
The conservative media
Energy drinks
Too loose gun control laws
Too strict gun control laws
Higher education
Bad education
The theory of evolution
Godless society
Moral decay
Chlorine in the water
Chemical inbalance
Mental instability
He was bullied
He was raped
Sociopathy
Psychopathy
Chemtrails
Marijuana
Cocaine
Coffee
Corporations
1%
99%
The Koch Brothers
Guy Fawkes
The New York Yankees
The Colorado fires
The oppressive heat
High rent prices

And I could go on and on and on and on.

The funny thing about all of that is through all of that bullshit...I might...maybe...once or twice perhaps if I'm lucky...hear someone put all of the blame.  All of the impetus.  All of the responsibility where it belongs.

Despite all other outside factors.  All the political bulletpoints.  All of the debatable arguments that will win and lose favor points within certain peer groups there is really only one person to blame.

At some point, James Eagan Holmes made a conscious decision to pick up weapons, regardless of how easy or difficult it was to access them based on the laws making that possible or even nearly impossible, and turned them against his fellow human beings.

Everyone with an opinion will search for cause, or reason.  Find someone/something to blame, and that someone/something will very easily and coincidentally be exactly what the person making the opinion is already against.

Little Jimmy Holmes did it.  Find whatever cause or excuse makes that fact more palatable to you, but realize that even with ALL other factors included...He did it.  He made the decision.  He knew what he was doing, and he knew the consequences of those actions.  To defend him with anything beyond that is to place more value on his life, than all the lives he took.

I don't care about the gun laws.  I honestly don't.  If he wanted a gun, he'd get a gun.  Laws don't stop crazy.  I've heard all the arguments from both sides. On all sides.  About pretty much every single argument on the above list.  None of them stop crazy.

He made the decision.  He followed through with the decision.  The blame starts and stops at him.

At least that's what I think.  And for as horrible as this might make me...  I am really going to enjoy the next few days.

7 comments:

  1. I suppose I should post a more serious comment other than PUDDING! JayC you've a way with words. Seriously. I won't say Amen, as that seems sort of disrespectful to those who are religious. I will say keep up the good work my friend. You've an ability to express feelings, more than your own, in a enlightened, yet down to earth manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing Frank, I knew what you meant by PUDDING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I knew you knew what I meant, but others probably didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree....and I can just well LOL at the added "Guy Fawkes"...love that you included him haha...

    ReplyDelete